You are here
Segarcea Town Hall Local Authority in Dolj, Romania
Segarcea town is located in the southern half of Dolj county, south of Craiova, the county seat at a distance of 37 km railway Craiova - Calafat and 29 km on county road Craiova - Bistret.
From geographically, Segarcea town is located west of the river Jiu, in plain SEGARCEA - subunit of the Central Plain of Oltenia. Plain SEGARCEA is between high field Salcuta - Dranic, which is further south Piedmont Plateau (consisting of ancient Levantine deposits, covered in quaternary loess, clays fluvial-lacustrine deposits and redheads) Macesului Plain, low plain made up exclusively of deposits Danube terrace of Quaternary age.
Through the town passes the meridian 23 ° east 45 'latitude east, and by the parallel 44 ° south latitude. Curve goes through the town center at 100 m.
Based on the highest terrace of the Danube there are many springs flow of about 4m / sec. The only permanent water surface is Desnăţui River (tributary of the Danube) located about 6km west of the city.
In town and is comprised a stable surface, in continuous slope, representing the passage between the high plains and terraces Salcuta Danube.
Stratification powder contains coarse sand and gravel with sand at the base. The buildings can be founded directly in dusty layer pressures in economic limits.
The western part of the city (south-west of the existing fleet) shows an undeveloped area with pronounced slopes and uneven, with springs at the foot of the slope, where you can expand the park.
Seismic Intensity - seismic area "D".
City Segarcea falls in an area with a temperate continental climate with average annual temperature of 11°C, 30°C temperature absolute minimum and a maximum temperature of 41°C absolute.
The average amount of rainfall is about 510mm / year. The maximum rainfall was more than 770mm Segarcea and the minimum of 255mm.
The average length of time without frost is about 220 days. The number of summer days with temperatures above 25 ° C recorded in the period 15 May to 15 September is about 75 days.
Wind ENE-WSW direction is dominant.
As a result of geo-climatic conditions, soil-mold characteristic leachate is very favorable to the development of agriculture (culture of grapevine and large agricultural crops).
Segarcea origin of the word comes from the combination of two words: "SEGES" = field, playground, productive land in Latin and "arcesitus" = most searched, most wanted, dreamed.
By combining these two words to come from 'Segarcea "meaning" Earth desirable "or" earth metal dreams "of those fugitives who far astray in the woods.
The meaning of the word "Segarcea" could be so: remote village, a village of people fleeing the village wanted, the one corresponding to their wishes, with a strategic position and surrounded by fertile land.
The first form of the name of the village was found in documents Segarcea. Over time the city has held various forms of name Segarcea: Sigarcea, Sagarcea, Segarcea Segarcea.
Discovering the territory Segarcea town of objects: a coin dating from the time of Emperor Hadrian Romanian Augustus, two spindles, a signet ring (a bird of rare subtlety made only six lines) a head of bison bone pyrography (about teacher archaeologist C. Nicolaescu - Plopsor said that could be unique to our country) - was meant to Segarcea undeniably old Geto-Dacian a great necropolis and Romanian.
First documentary about the existence of the estates of the Act is Segarccea of 10 June 1416, written in Arges, during the reign of Mircea cel Batran. Through this document, the prince reinforces estates of noblemen. Some landowners who signed the document and found a gentleman named "Dragomir from Segarcea". Having a Segarcea estates implies the existence of human communities that work on this estate, which formed a village community that has taken the name of this land. Elders say that at first, the village was in the point called Valley Oanii.
On the estate Segarcea to find a hermitage, which later turned into a monastery. Legend has it that a gentlewoman named Sultanica would be built on the site of today's monastery a wooden church on his estate to attract nearby residents. It is assumed that as the population and exists in point Oanii Valley moved around the monastery on the estate Segarcea place that is situated today, Segarcea town.
On 15 September 1557 it was issued in Targoviste by the chancellery of Patrascu the Good, a document is mentioned and Segarcea town. If 1415 is remembered only the existence of a named Segarcea estates, and in 1557 it is mentioned and the existence of a locality named Segarcea, it can be concluded that the village would. We into being only in this timeframe.
The main occupation of the inhabitants of these places was livestock, mainly sheep, and horses and horned.
In 1620, after the statement of Nicolae Iorga, the village was given Segarcea, with Segarcea Monastery, the Patriarchate of Alexandria.
By the late eighteenth century was the Main culture millet and maize in culture with the introduction, it became the Main cultivated plant, with wheat used for food but also for animal feed. The people of these times and dealt with the cultivation of grape-vine. Documents older news leaves us, for instance, that in the sixteenth century ruler Patrascu - Michael Viteazul- gave his father as dowry, land SEGARCEA, his daughter Maria. Towards the end of the eighteenth century, vineyards thrive and occupy the land surface becoming larger.
In Phanariot, ie by 1792 - is written in Anaforeaua Divan - as SEGARCEA and Garceni residents are given the right to organize trade fairs and fairs, where they sell cereals, vineyards and livestock products.
In 1794, Prince Moruzzi and Monastery Segarcea grant you the right to fairground on the estate of the monastery in the village Segarcea.
Residents were Rumani Segarcea settlement of rulers or nobles, can be sold with the estate and that his master had primary obligation of the estate to work their land. Monastery lands were worked until the mid nineteenth century, the Gypsy slaves.
Later in capitalist statutes, the main branch of the economy was agriculture, land being worked by clăcaşi. They grew wheat and corn, and around the monastery were large orchards and vineyards.
In 1854, clacasii of Segarcea rebelled against injustice to which they were subjected by the administration of the estate, threatening to break the village.
The agrarian reform of 1864, the peasants are houses to clăcaşi of Segarcea and free from feudal obligations.
In the War of Independence of 1877, residents of the town of Segarcea and brought an important contribution, either through direct participation omenesi forces or by military supplies soldiers with food and feed for horses. It is worth remembering that among the human sacrifices of this war were soldiers Ion Mitrache, resident of SEGARCEA - the first Romanian soldiers who died in battles at Rahova. On the territory of the town was a warehouse to collect food for the army. #n after participating in war were over 500 houses to families on the estate Segarcea.
During this period the expected establishment of a joint here, a fact that was not achieved because a few years, in 1884 it will establish field Crown of Romania. This area was the second largest after the Banloc - Timis. The workforce for this field was provided by residents deprived of land or land slightly from Segarcea and neighboring villages.
In WWI, Segarcea town residents have made a significant contribution, giving many sacrifices on the battlefield. As proof of this fact lies the Monument erected in honor and gave their lives in the period 1916 -1919.
During the second world war of the years 1939 -1945, the Segarcea was concentrated Infantry Division XIV instructive that on the night of 25 to 26 August 1944 led vigorous action to stop and disarm German soldiers taking prisoners a total of 42 German officers and soldiers.
Segarcea city territory, in the section called "Airport" during the war was a radio-listening and observing German air.
Victory over the German occupier brought radical changes in life Segarcea town. Crown Domain Administration became state property, transformed into the IAS Segarcea that by December 1989, was privatized, becoming today SC Cervina S.A. Segarcea. In 1945 the resort was founded machines and tractors were nationalized grain mill, oil mill and oil depot.
In 1949 it has finished construction of the silo which today is called SC Cerealcom S.A. Segarcea. Since 1950, the town center becomes Segarcea district.
After the new administrative division of Romania in 1968, following its earlier development, town Segarcea gain city status. Thereafter, Segarcea becomes a strong industrial, commercial, civic, cultural and important road transit center.