You are here
Işalniţa Town Hall Local Authority in Dolj, Romania
History of Işalniţa
The name of the settlement was initially "Șalnița". As shown in a document issued in Bucharest on May 8, 1577, during the reign of Michael Turcitu and written by scribe Bunea, this village, along with other settlements, it was given to possession by the ruler, for outstanding achievements, to nobleman Radu Craiovescu. In the XVth century, the village community is specifically described as a dominion in "condominium" of estates of noblemen Craiovescu to the perimeter "Around" Bucovăţ, Breasta, Craiovița, Șalnița and Făcăi villages.
The research of the historians and philologists shows that the name of Işalniţa was obtained from Ieșelnița phonetic, a village near Orşova, located on the Danube, whose inhabitants mostly dealt with shepherding. These shepherds with flocks went grazing and stopped long in these places, giving to new settlement the name of their village.
According to other researchers, Eşelniţa word, then Işalniţa comes from Turkish, meaning ISAL beauty and Netam-hill. Translated, it means HILL of BEAUTY. Another version shows that when the Turks ruled during the Romanian Country in Işalniţa there was a large inn. Seeing how beautiful the hostess was, whose name was Niţa, Turkish bey together with his army called her Işalniţa, that means beautiful Niţa.
The villagers liked this word and they borrowed Işalniţa giving the name of the town. The first settlement of the village was not the actual place, but on the hill called Folea, covered by a thick forest on an area of 100 hectares.
It was a settlement of huts, well hidden in the woods and away from the road for invaders’fear. This was made up of two villages: Işalniţa and Folea, Foleanu name comes from it, this name is kept even nowadays by four families. The village Folea had many streets named after the inhabitants’ occupation, their work or their manners. In Folea forest there were Mărunţelu and Bujor outlows, who often, when they were pursued by Nobleman posse, they were hiding in Ion Chiţu’s cellar. During the Turks, the inhabitants found their refuge in this forest where they had burned holes for storing food and water for a long time. Treaty of Adrianople, signed in 1929, removed the Turkish monopoly over the country and led to deforestation to increase the area of agricultural land.
Although the villagers were good and hardworking in times of oppression, they were very poor, so they tried different trades. Initially dealt with shepherding, then, using the experience of ancestors and some lessons from the Italians, işalniţenii went to agriculture. Being close to town, some locals were “Chirigii” (those who earn their bread by carriage and a pair of horses). After the revolution of 1848, there was an exodus of Bulgarians and Serbs to Romanian Country and many families named Ţenovici and Telbizof settled in Işalniţa, bringing with them the art of vegetable and floriculture. This craft was liked by the locals and they began to cultivate vegetables and greens on the Amaradia and Jiu rivers. While the drought, the cropland was watered by Bulgarian using the wheel than borrowed by the locals. This new occupation assured villagers a certain independence and well-being in relation to the standard of living of our peasantry in that time. Over time, like today, everyone focused on gardening, following the highest quality products to supply many markets of cities in the country. This new occupation had brought people, even today, deal with good and abundant living, large cash income and very good living conditions. The houses were huts, then made of wood with one to two rooms, were replaced by those made of brick and provided with five to eight rooms.
In 1828, 235 families had 417 bulls, 218 cows, 33 horses, 380 sheep, 56 goats and 18.5 acre vineyard, 4 buffaloes 9 hives and 450 plum trees. In 1912, in the village there was a popular bank "Abundance", a land lease community, a cooperative of dairy, petrol mill, a steam mill, a farm, a nursery, a kitchen garden, a train station "Işalniţa".
Celebrities in common
Constantin Fota - 1935 was minister of foreign trade and international tourism 1990-1993 prof. Dr. dr. University of Craiova and politician;
- Gheorghe Gavrila - 1946 prof. Dr. dr. Eng. Military Technical Academy Bucharest.
(Excerpt from Monograph village Işalniţa - stavrophore priest Petre Turcu)